IRMACS Days - Thursday, April 9, 2015
Interdisciplinary Centres and Institutes: Opportunities and Challenges Workshop
On April 9th, the IRMACS Centre and the Dean of the Faculty of Environment are pleased to welcome colleagues from across Canada and beyond our borders to meet and discuss how interdisciplinary centres and institutes have many things in common.
The main goal of the workshop is to give an opportunity to the leaders of various Canadian and international interdisciplinary institutes and centres to share their experiences in managing their institutions.
The workshop topics will include issues that, regardless of their size, their host universities, or their fields of research, interdisciplinary centres and institutes have in common. Several examples include: funding & sustainability, challenges and opportunities related to conducting interdisciplinary research, relationship with other units in their home institutions, involvement in teaching and graduate training, staffing, expected longevity, and reporting structure.
In addition, workshop participants will discuss the role of interdisciplinarity in the current academic environment.
In the spirit of interdisciplinarity, we believe that this event will initiate new collaborations among institutions represented at the workshop.
Participation in the events of April 9th is by invitation only, with the exception of the afternoon session from 13:00 to 14:20, which is open to the public.
- Ms. Pam Borghardt, Managing Director, The IRMACS Centre, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. Felix Breden, Executive Director, The IRMACS Centre, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. Brian Corrie, Technical Director, The IRMACS Centre, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. Robert Frodeman, Director, Centre for the Study of Interdisciplinarity, University of North Texas
- Dr. Veselin Jungic, Deputy Director, The IRMACS Centre
- Ms. Sabrina Kehoe, Associate Director, The Interdisciplinary Centre for Culture and Creativity, University of Saskatchewan
- Dr. Siobhán McElduff, Interim Director, The Media and Graphics Interdisciplinary Centre, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Henri Pallard, Director, International Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Law, Laurentian University; Associate Director, Poverty, Homelessness and Migration Project; Member, Centre for Research in Social Justice and Policy
- Dr. Judith Sixsmith, Lead, Transdisciplinary Working Crosscutting Activity, AGE-WELL Network
- Dr. Ingrid Stefanovic, Dean, Faculty of Environment, Simon Fraser University
- Dr. Bonnie Swaine, Scientific Director, Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Rehabilitation, Université de Montréal
- Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff, Director, ICORD, International Collaboration on Repair Discoveries, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Peter L. Twohig, Executive Director, The Gorsebrook Research Institute for Atlantic Canada Studies, Saint Mary's University
- Dr. Michel Van Hove, Director, Institute of Computational and Theoretical Studies (ICTS), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Dr. Richard Wassersug, University of British Columbia / Dalhousie University / La Trobe University
Please check back regularly for updates to the day's schedule.
|10:00 - 10:15||
Welcome to Simon Fraser University by Vice-President, Research Joy Johnson
Moderators: Ingrid Stefanovic, Dean of Faculty of Environment, SFU and Felix Breden, IRMACS Centre Executive Director
|10:15 - 12:00||My Institution: People, Research, Achievements, and Challenges
Each representative will introduce his/her Centre/Institute
|12:00 - 13:00||Lunch|
|13:00 - 14:20||Interdisciplinarity, Multidisciplinarity, and Transdisciplinarity: The Present and the Future
Moderator: Ingrid Stefanovic
Open to the public - Please Register
This session will be in two parts. It will begin with a presentation by Dr. Robert Frodeman (video), Director of University of North Texas' Center for the Study of Interdisciplinarity and it will continue with the discussion on the topic of interdisciplinarity, multidisciplinarity, and transdisciplinarity that will be moderated by Dr. Ingrid Stefanovic.
|14:20 - 14:45||Refreshments|
|14:50 - 15:50||Interdisciplinary Research Centres and Institutes: Why and How
Moderator: Felix Breden
|15:50 - 16:00||Refreshments|
|16:00 - 16:50||Interdisciplinary Potpourri
Open discussion moderated by Ingrid Stefanovic and Felix Breden
|16:50 - 17:00||Closing Remarks
Felix Breden and Ingrid Stefanovic
|17:00 - 19:00||Reception (by invitation)|
Happy 10th Anniversary IRMACS!
Happy 50th Anniversary SFU!